Hyundai Endowment Fund
We support civil society development and environmental protection in the Moravian- Silesian Region.
Why Moravian-Silesian Region:
In the comparative survey called Místo pro život (Place for Life), the Moravian-Silesian Region has for a long time been ranked at the bottom. Unemployment, high air pollution and a low level of social responsibility or tolerance in the region is to blame for a low ranking. The region stands aside from the interest of donors and the municipal budgets are very limited. Local associations are therefore struggling with a lack of funding, especially for projects that would help to increase citizens’ involvement in local affairs, revitalize public space and build neighborhood cooperation. That means especially for projects that could help improve the quality of life in the region.
What is the Hyundai Endowment Fund and how it helps in the region:
The Hyundai Endowment Fund was established in 2007 on the basis of an agreement between Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Czech, the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Czech Republic, the Moravian-Silesian Region and NGOs from the region. The fund supports the development of civil society and environmental protection in the Moravian-Silesian Region, particularly in the areas of the former districts of Frýdek-Místek, Nový Jičín and Karviná. The fund has a total of CZK 20,000,000 available. To this date, the OSF has distributed over CZK 10,000,000. The OSF administers individual open grants and communicates with beneficiaries.
The Fund supports active civil society, that is the fundamental basic stone of a well-functioning society.
It supports 10 to 15 local projects each year. The funds are received by local associations, public-benefit corporations or local municipalities, that know the needs of local citizens and have innovative ideas how to improve life in the given area and know how to engage citizens in public affairs. It can be associations that want to revive the local devastated park, build an interactive nature trail or remind the historical crafts and traditions of the region. Some local associations are already successfully implementing their activities, the financial contribution helps them to professionalize their existing activities and strengthen their financial stability and sustainability. All supported organizations try to involve the public in their activities as much as possible. As a result, support from the Hyundai Endowment Fund directly encourages citizens to take action in their region and to improve their lives and lives of other people.
What was achieved in 2018:
- Silesian Diaconia opened a food aid for homeless people and low-income families.
- Association BABYLONIE organized in Frýdek-Místek a week-long stay for students from 5 different countries, including mentally handicaped, on how to overcome prejudice.
- Association for Faunapark is gradually repairing the zoopark in Frýdek-Místek and organizes there art workshops, concerts and other events.
- Projects often deals with environment protection. Association Salamandr for example took care of two mountain meadows and planted 2,000 beeches and firs in the Beskydy Mountains. Primary and Nursery School Janovice build on its garden a small pond, which is used for educational purposes on the importance of water. Primary and Nursery School Dělnická in Karviná organized school project on biodiversity in the city.
- The Fund also supported projects, that revitalize public space. Gospel music sounds again in Orlová, thanks to local parish chorus of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren. In Nošovice a centenary of the Czechoslovakian Republic was commemorated by planting a linden at the event of the Volunteer Fire Brigade. The Koliba Association, which strives to preserve the historical tradition of mountain farming in the region, also received a contribution.
More information can be found on www.nfh.cz.
The Open Society Fund administers individual open grant rounds and communicates with beneficiaries.